Saturday, April 4, 2009

Journal Reflections


  1. Describe when you've used student journals in the past.I have used journaling in my science classroom. My students do not actually have a science journal however they have a section in their binder entitled "Journal". This section is used following labs for students to write their thoughts and or comments regarding their lab results.
  2. What were characteristics of good journal entries ? Topic, date, what they learned and what they are possibly having difficulty with. How and why this information is relevant in their life.
  3. What were some characteristics of not-so-good entries? My issue with journal entries is that students often do not give enough in depth information. They struggle with what they are to write and are hung up on how much to write.
  4. How might you be able to help students create good journal entries? The best way I have found to help students with journals is to give them specific questions that they are to use in helping them reflect on the work done. Also using good student work is an excellent way to model what a good journal looks like.


1 comment:

  1. in your journal, I like the idea of how the lab is relevant to the student's lives. Students always ask "when do I ever need to know this". This is a good way to demonstrate why the information is useful and how it is used.

    ReplyDelete